Sons of Aeon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storm of the Imperial Sanctum clan.

HomeSotisLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Image editing tutorial... still frame editing...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ayvul
Emperor
Ayvul

Image editing tutorial... still frame editing... Empty
PostSubject: Image editing tutorial... still frame editing...   Image editing tutorial... still frame editing... EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Finished

Some ppl wanted to add a image to their signature but dont noe how to exactly do this so im posting a basic tut of how to edit still frame images and also animation(gif files). This tut is focused on one program i use but the idea is universal in all image editors. just follow the tut and ull get a basic knowledge of image editing...

You will need to get gimp. This is a free image editor that has come a long way and is better then photoshop think. This program is also compatible with photoshop brushes and fonts which i will explain l8er. Get gimp!

have your have dled the lasted gimp and installed it there should be 3 lil windows tht pop up. 1 is the main window where ur image is and where u will be editing and the 2 skinny but long windows are ur tool windows, these are for the tools u will use to edit the image with.

toolbox - Where all the tools are to edit the image are located.
Layers, Channels, Path - this window will show all the layers u have made and also the paths in which things will move.
GNU Image Manipulation Program (gimp) - this window is where ur image will show up.

kk first thing is first is getting acquainted with the things in gimp.

The image below is the 3 windows i talked about earlier.

Image editing tutorial... still frame editing... Gimpstart

kk first things first we need to make a new project... there is a menu way to do this and a hotkey way and i will be showing both for anything tht has the ability for a hotkey....

First in ur Gimp window go to file and then new... or press ctrl + n.

Another window will pop up and ask how big u want the image to be now for making a sig image i would exceed 400 pixels in with and 200 pixels in height.

Once you have made ur new image to be u can start editing....

Image editing tutorial... still frame editing... Toolbox
There is no better way to learn then to experiment by urself but i will tell u a small part of the tools in this box tht u will use to make certain things, i will not post a picture of each one but tell u where it is in the box and u can see it for urself...

Selection tools are located in row 1 and columns 1-4
1st selects by squares,
2nd is circular
3rd is by mouse drawing
4th is by color...

On the 4th row 5th column there is the letter "A" this is how u add text to ur image... click the a then click and hold and draw a box and type wat u want into the box.

On the 5th row column 1-5 is paint tools and easer...
first is the bucket which replaces large amounts of color over another one. Example - with u have green selected and u bucket white all the white will turn green.
second is blend tool which uses built in scripts to make different types of effects
third is pencil which u use to draw skinny lines (pointless i think)
fourth is the brush which can change in size and shape and is a continuous stream. Example is u go and dl a smile brush it will continuously draw simles.
fifth is the easer self explanatory.

On the 6th row column 1 is the Airbrush which acts like a spray can of color.

those are the basics for the tools u will use for still frame images animations u will use more tools in different windows and menus.

kk now to start making ur image....

play around and bit after u made ur new image and draw some stuff and get a feel of the tools i just mentioned.

Hints and Tips:
Alot of the tools u use can be adjusted after u have used them... selection tool can be resized and text selection can be resized.
Drawing straight lines with ur mouse is almost impossible but gimp has a hotkey tht allows for a straight line to be formed. Start by pressing and holding shift and click once then a line will show up and u can stretch this line to where u want it to go then just click again and boom its a straight line...
Constant saving is important!!!!! i have had to restart many projects because i didnt save it enough times so good idea to save like every 10 mins or so.
Also something u should definently try out is go to filters and scroll down through the list and premade scripts tht turn boring text or images to a more exciting image. One is adding an alien glow to ur text, other is burn in text and image and much more!!!!

This is the basic and not so complicated way of image editing... still frame editing is nothing compared to animation and gif file format.... if u wish to do animations and gif files u need to have a good understanding of the filter's menu and wat each of those do not meaning u have to noe ALL of them but a good amount is a good idea Smile

the tutorial for animations and gif file editing is going to be much more complex and longer and time consuming to understand and get a good start going and i wont have it done for awhile but this is still a good start b4 doing all of tht!
Back to top Go down
https://sonsofaeon.darkbb.com

Image editing tutorial... still frame editing...
Page 1 of 1